DUI Law in Washington State
Email us for help today.
Tacoma criminal attorney, Jason S. Newcombe and his team will help you understand Washington’s DUI laws.
Washington State DUI laws outline the rules that govern Tacoma drunk driving crimes, and the penalties used to punish those who are convicted. Different legal defenses are required for different charges, which underscores why an understanding of Washington DUI law is so important if you’ve been charged with a drunk driving crime in Tacoma.
Consider this example: While the same mandatory penalties apply to a Tacoma DUI as a physical control violation, the law still indentifies them as two different crimes. Additionally, a regular DUI and a Tacoma minor DUI are not only defined as two different offenses, but even the penalties are substantially different.
Washington State drunk driving laws can be confusing to anyone that isn’t well versed in the law. If you’ve been charged with one of Washington’s drunk driving crimes, don’t hesitate to talk to one of our Tacoma DUI attorneys and start getting some honest facts. Mitigating the penalties associated with a WA drunk driving offense is never easy, but a qualified attorney will give you the best chance of success.
With decades of combined experience, our Tacoma DUI lawyers are fully capable of giving you a better understanding of Washington DUI law BEFORE your first court date or DOL hearing.
Drunk driving penalties as they apply to your Tacoma DUI.
Most everyone understands what it means to drive under the influence (DUI), but few have an understanding of the written laws that apply to the various crimes that are encompassed by that fence. Review the following list of these crimes, as they are described in Washington DUI law, so that you can get a better idea of what each one means to you:
- DUI crime – Commonly referred to as Driving Under the Influence, this is the most common Tacoma drunk driving violation. In Tacoma, if you are caught driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or higher, you are facing some pretty serious repercussions.
- Physical control violation – Washington State DUI law describes this as a non-driving DUI offense. This means that you can be charged for physical violation if you are found anywhere inside the vehicle, or even outside of the automobile, according to Washington law.
- Minor DUI – If you are 21 years old or younger, and your BAC is .02 or higher, then you could be charged with this potentially life-altering offense. A conviction means a criminal record, and mandatory and discretionary penalties that should never be underestimated.
- Reckless driving – Washington boasts some of the most severe punishments for breaking laws in America, and reckless driving in Tacoma is no different.
- Negligent driving – The damage caused by a guilty ruling can be life altering, so you should take a negligent driving charge in Tacoma just as seriously as you would any other.
- Street racing – Washington State law is clear– two vehicles engaged in a relative contest of speed are considered to be racing. This crime is essentially the same as a reckless driving charge in Tacoma, and the penalties are also the same.
We help you build a DUI defense based on Washington law.
A Tacoma DUI defense can only be built upon the foundation of Washington law, because these are the only arguments the courts will hear. For this reason, you must be ready with your defense BEFORE the date of your Department of Licensing Hearing and appearance in court.
If you’ve been charged with one of these serious WA drunk driving crimes, you don’t have time to delay. Take action immediately by contacting one of our Tacoma DUI attorneys so that they can help you get a better understanding of Washington State DUI law and how it applies to your case.
Start getting the answers you need with a FREE consultation.
We offer a free consultation to every prospective client. By taking advantage of this offer, you can start getting some information about Washington drunk driving law, risk-free, and without monetary commitment. When you’re ready to take the next step, one of our affordable Tacoma DUI lawyers will immediately start building a defense based on Washington DUI law.
FREE consultation – call today!